Importing and Exporting
Money offers great flexibility to import data. Whether you are switching from another finance management tool, or wishing to import data from a financial institution, Money has you covered. Money supports QIF, OFX, QFX, CSV, and MT940 formats for data import. Money can export data in a very flexible and widely-supported CSV format.
Importing data from a file on your computer
- Select File > Import.
- Choose a data file on your computer and click Open.
- Select an account for importing and make any changes to the list of transactions if necessary.
- Click the gear icon to make more detailed adjustments on how to import data: change the destination for each data field and date format, adjust import rules if necessary.
Importing data from your online banking account
- When creating or editing an account, enter the URL to your online banking account in the eBank Website section.
- A new section called Web Bank will appear in the workspace, it will show a website of your bank. Follow the usual routine to log into your bank account online. You will be asked to enter your username and password.
- Once you are in your online bank account, save the account statement in one of the supported formats. Money should detect the file and start importing it. If not, you may need to import the file manually.
- You will be able to use the Web Bank you have created on a regular basis. It will stay in the workspace of the account.
Upgrading from previous versions of Money
Money 4 for macOS
If you have a Money 4 data file on your Mac, you can simply drag and drop it into Money.
Select File > Import and find your Money 4 data file.
Money for iOS
If you used an older version of Money for iOS and want to import data into new Money for macOS, do the following actions:
- Open an old version of Money of your iOS device
- Tap Menu
- Tap the gear icon in the popover
- Tap Documents
- Tap edit and select the document you want to export
- Tap the Share button and select Email Document
- Email the document to yourself.
- Save the document on your Mac
- Drag and drop your document into the new Money, or select File > Import.
Important: only delete your data from your old Money for iOS when you have made sure that all data has been imported correctly! If you delete your data in iOS and later discover that some items went missing during import, they will be impossible to recover!
Exporting data to CSV:
- Select File > Export
- Name the file and choose the location for saving, then click Save.
The exported CSV file may be opened with other finance or spreadsheet applications.
Note: If you intend to export data for safekeeping, we recommend using iCloud synchronization to act as data backup on the cloud.