We say.

Oct 16 2013

Dropbox Sync Unveiled for Money!

After quite some time of being all quiet about Money, we are back with a vengeance and some major news. Today we’re unveiling updated versions of all three Money apps: for Mac, iPhone, and iPad.

The main feature of the new update will delight many of you: cloud sync is back! If you have a Dropbox account, you can now store your Money documents in it and have easy access from your computer or any iOS device with Money installed. If you don’t have a Dropbox account, it’s very simple to get one here, and it’s free up to 18 GB.

When you launch the new version of Money for Mac, you will get a notification asking whether you want to store your documents in Dropbox. To do that, just follow the further instructions. By the way, your documents will be saved both in Dropbox and locally, so you will always be able to access them on your Mac. All changes you make will be saved in both copies automatically.

On the iOS versions, go to Settings > Documents and tap the Connect with Dropbox button. You will be able to choose whether you wish to transfer all currently available documents to Dropbox or keep some of them on your iOS device. To initiate syncing, pull down the Home screen on the iPhone version and any screen on the iPad app.

The updates also include full support of the upcoming OS X Mavericks on Money for Mac and a number of minor improvements and fixes.

As usual, if you have any questions, suggestions, or problems with the new update, please email us at support@jumsoft.com.
137 comments
Filed under:
Posted in Applications

Lawrence Bryant:

October 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm

**WARNING** I upgraded my two macs and now I do not have access to my data. I would recommend that everyone makes a couple of duplicates of their data as a backup before proceeding just in case. I will keep you updated on my situation once I hear back from tech support and get the issue resolved.

Thomas Niejadlik:

October 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Same problem here Lawrence. I hope there is a fix for this. Soon!

Teresa:

November 13, 2013 at 3:12 am

I had the same problem. My file is just gone and the response from jumsoft has been slow.

October 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Lawrence,

We have responded to your email regarding this issue and are waiting for your further feedback.

Helen:

October 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I’m having trouble. No access do my money documents at all, neither on my mac nor on the iphone. Luckily I made several backups.

Pavel:

October 16, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Finally! All my data is on the cloud! All done! Thank you, guys!

Vitor:

October 16, 2013 at 6:37 pm

First impression: Wow! Finally one of my favourite app has internet synchronisation! Happy days! :)
Second impression: Blegh! It simply doesn’t work. Seriously! Why you guy can’t get it right!?

Vitor:

October 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I owe an apology now! Sorry! It apparently worked but it takes about 10 minutes to sync. And I have to make sure Money is closed in both iPhone and Mac. Is this right?

October 17, 2013 at 9:41 am

Vitor, Could you email us at support@jumsoft.com, including your versions of OS and as many details about the syncing problems as possible?

Sergei:

October 16, 2013 at 8:36 pm

hey guys, we are not your beta testers!

We paid the money, and we don’t need the cloud sync if it does not work correctly

Alexey:

October 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm

It was same with iCloud sync, don’t even want to upgrade to dropbox sync. I’m sure that it doesn’t work how it have to.

Roman Bdaitsiyev:

October 16, 2013 at 8:47 pm

It would be so kind if you’ll update your FAQ on syncing Money data via Dropbox.

Adrian:

October 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm

It doesn’t work
It’s showing all the same problems of the iCloud Sync feature. I tried with my existing money data file and I was able to see it on my iPad and iPhone but any update that I made on my Mac does not show up on either of the iOS devices.
So I’m going to attempt to reinstall the previous versions from back ups.

October 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

Have you tried pull the Home screen down to upload and download changes?

Lawrence Bryant:

October 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Update -Finally got a version in the cloud and my iPhone and 2 macs could see it. Made changes on one mac. Left it a bit opened the other mac and iPhone and the data had not changed. shut money on iPhone, restarted phone, opened money, pulled down to refresh and 10 mins later still says syncing. I had such high hopes. I am sure many if you remember the iCloud syncing issues. It appears that for some if us we are in for a whole lot of pain. Why had this not been tested properly, it has serious problems?

October 17, 2013 at 10:51 am

Huge data-file requires some time (it depends on data-file, but we’ve tested with 10MB data-file and it took about 20 minutes) to finish first sync. Let me know if the issues remains after some time.

Milad:

October 17, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Hi,

I have 27MB money file.
      Are you saying it will sync for 1 hour? You have to be kidding me?!

Milad

October 18, 2013 at 11:02 am

Unfortunately, first sync might take some time, however, all following sync should sync immediatly.

Dario:

October 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I got both the iPhone and the Mac apps : I got a message asking if I wanted to create a backup in Dropbox which I did … since then the synchronization between the phone app and the Mac app is impossible … please help !

Adrian:

October 16, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Having learned from the previous attempt to provide iCloud syncing I made sure I had backups of the Apps for my Mac and iOS Devices before I updated them. As I have said earlier it works in that the initial sync of data shows up on the iPhone and iPad but then any changes on the iMac do not come through. I even tried setting up a new Money file to see if that would work with just 1 account and 2 transactions, but the same thing happened the file syncs first time and then thats it no updates after changes to the file on the iMac.
I have returned to WiFi Sync, it works!

Why does this happen? It was a perfectly good App that has now been ruined once again.

chris:

October 16, 2013 at 10:19 pm

@Adrian: Money’s Wi-Fi sync is broken on Mavericks and it seems they can not fix it. That’s why they introduced Dropbox syncing.

Adrian:

October 16, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Well that sounds like a another reason not to upgrade to Mavericks. until Jumsoft get the Dropbox sync to work properly.

The sync to Dropbox works for the first time and I have a very large Money data file so once its synced I can open it on my iPhone or my iPad but if I make a change on the iMac that change doesn’t sync to either device. Likewise if I make a change on one of the iOS devices then the other devices do not update.

Has anyone actually got this to work i.e make a change to the data file after the first sync and see the changes update onto the other devices?

October 17, 2013 at 11:11 am

For changes to apply, you have to save your document on OS X and after a while pull-down the Home screen on iOS.

Darren:

October 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Just had money for ipad auto update and now I can’t see my money document., all I get is a blank grey screen when I open the app. This happened with iCloud syncing, I was happy with wifi sync.

October 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

Have you tried to close application (by closing it in iOS multi-tasking screen) and open it again? If the issue remains, contact us at support@jumsoft.com

Peter:

October 17, 2013 at 12:16 am

It took me a few moments to set it up before I was confident that everything is as it should, but mow it seems to work no problem and I’m syncing between my iMac & iPhone just fine… For those who might be having problems, just try closing the app after editing the file and give it a few minutes so it can upload. Then I you open the file on the other device (eg. iPhone) it might take another minute or so before the file updates (you should see ‘syncing’ message at the top of the screen). Hope this helps!

Adrian:

October 17, 2013 at 12:40 am

Peter, were you able to make a change to the data file on your iMac after the initial sync and then see that change update in the Money file on your iPhone? I was able to get the initial sync to work but then any transactions I added on the iMac did not update on the iPhone or iPad versions.

Douglas Bell:

October 17, 2013 at 1:18 am

The iOS update installed itself automatically. Three times it crashed upon telling me to move my data to Dropbox, and then all my data on the iOS app completely disappeared. (Which was very annoying since it’s been 2 or 3 days since I’ve last synced it with my computer.)

Now I cannot get the wi-fi sync to show up at all on the Mac version of Money (I’m on Mountain Lion), and there are no settings anywhere in the Mac version for Dropbox syncing and I’m up-to-date with version 4.4.4. (And if the Mac version ends up having Dropbox syncing as broken as the iOS data-eating version, I’m a bit worried about setting this up anyway.)

I’m very frustrated that this update deleted all my iOS data and now it appears I have no way to restore the data. I rely on this app every day and this is immensely frustrating.

October 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Douglas, all applications should be up-to-date (including Money 4.5) in order to use Dropbox sync. Let me know, if the issue remains with the latest versions.

Douglas Bell:

October 20, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I have Money 4.4.4 installed, and it says that there is no new update available, so I didn’t realize that there was a Money 4.5. I purchased Money through the MacHeist bundle back in April. It appears that the only way to download Money 4.5 is to buy it from the Mac App Store. I don’t have $39 I can plop down to buy an upgrade, and I shouldn’t have to since I just bought the app already less than 6 months ago.

October 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm

You can re-download the updated trial version here: http://www.jumsoft.com/money/, and it will be automatically activated with your original license number.

Douglas Bell:

October 23, 2013 at 8:29 am

Downloaded and installed the trial as instructed. I had the foresight to make a backup of my Money document in advance, and it’s a good thing I did, because opening Money 4.5 wiped out my data, just like it did on iOS.

It prompted me to connect with Dropbox, which I did, which opened my web browser. I logged into Dropbox, and then went back into Money. And in red text, it said “Sorry! Money could not connect to Dropbox. Do you want to try again?” And no matter how many times I tried again, it would keep saying that message, and still do nothing. And it opened a completely blank, account-less window.

Quitting Money and re-opening it, I went into Preferences and again tried to connect to Dropbox. Still nothing happens.

October 23, 2013 at 10:59 am

On iOS, you can restore your data from backup by shaking your iPhone.

Regarding the Mac version, please try the following:
            1. Disconnect from Dropbox (Money > Preferences > Dropbox).
            2. Delete the Money app.
            3. Go to /Users/[yourusername]/Library/Containers, and delete the “/com.jumsoft.money3″ folder. (To access User’s Library, you may need to open Finder, press the Shift + Cmd + G, and type “~/Library” into the field that appears.)
            4. Re-download and open Money, and see if connecting and saving to Dropbox works this time.

Douglas Bell:

October 24, 2013 at 8:34 am

I followed these instructions, but every time, after being sent to login to the Dropbox website, I would come back to Money and be told “Could not connect to Dropbox.” Finally, after the fourth time, it connected, and I was able to open my existing document data and tell it to sync onto Dropbox.

Then after having to quit and re-open Money on the Mac, it again said that would like me to again go onto Dropbox to connect and login.

I’m sorry, but I am incredibly, incredibly frustrated by how much time I have wasted trying to get this to work.

Douglas Bell:

October 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

In a fit of desperation, I completely uninstalled Money using CleanMyMac to make sure every trace of it was gone. I uninstalled it from my iPod touch, and I deleted everything in my Dropbox account. (I still have all of my data saved in a backup file.)

I then reinstalled Money, opened it, and connected it successfully with my Dropbox account, saving a completely now, blank Money document to do so.

Then I quit the Money app. I waited five seconds. Then I re-opened it, and yet again, Money asked me if I wanted to connect to Dropbox.

So CLEARLY it is the Money app that is broken with this process. I cannot use this app if it is going to make me login through Dropbox every time I want to open it.

Vitor:

October 17, 2013 at 1:22 am

Well, I am here to take back my apology. The sync is indeed broken. I just lost entire day of spendings. I entered a lot of transactions in my iPhone and did not update in my Mac. Come on, what is happening?

October 17, 2013 at 11:03 am

Have you tried to pull-down the Home screen on Money for iOS? It takes some time for changes to sync across all devices.

Rob:

October 17, 2013 at 2:16 am

So, you basically removed wi-fi sync to add cloud syncing via Dropbox. Brilliant. I did not ask to use Dropbox, don’t want to use Dropbox, but it appears that I’m out of luck otherwise since wi-fi sync is gone (unless I missed something). Thanks for nothing. I’ll start looking for another financial app because I’m done with this one.

October 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

Technology, which we use for Wi-Fi sync doesn’t work on OS X Mavericks, so we had to migrate to alternative service.

Benjamin Frost:

October 17, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Precisely. Why did they do it? For me, it’s wifi, iCloud or nothing.

Rachel:

October 17, 2013 at 5:42 am

Hey if you’re all having problems with your file not having the newest entries or syncing, you might have multiple files in your Dropbox. When I opened money on my iPhone iPad and Mac, it asked to upload the document to Dropbox on each of my devices. Then I noticed entries weren’t being synced either, and the iPad had really outdated info (since I never synced it) I checked Dropbox and I saw 3 files.

Rachel:

October 17, 2013 at 5:44 am

Anyway thanks for the update guys!! Everything works great for me and the cloud sync is much faster than the initial icloud version.

Stan:

October 17, 2013 at 6:55 am

Maybe I am the lucky one and was able to get it to work. The only thing is, you have to CLOSE the documents when you finish editing and SAVE the file. After that, it ll depends on your connection speed to get it sync across.

What I did
1. Delete the loca version on iPhone
2. delete the local version on iPad
For the above, make sure you already synced prior to this
3. Update Mac version and allowed Dropbox sync – save to drop box – this take time depends on file size

4. Now you can open the file for iPhone and iPad and voila.

I was able to
1. Create new account
2. Create new transaction
3. Edit transaction and account
4. Delete transaction and account.

Again, maybe it am the lucky one that got it to,work………..

Lawrence Bryant:

October 17, 2013 at 7:43 am

Hi Stan

Where please did you save the local copy on your mac. Did you save it in documents or somewhere within your dropbox folder? I do not know if makes a difference, can someone from Jumsoft please clarify this. Many thanks.

October 17, 2013 at 10:59 am

Local copy of your data-file should be saved somewhere in your OS X. Doesn’t really matter where, but I do not recomment to keep it in Dropbox (we handle Dropbox sync internally, so you don’t need to keep your data-file in Dropbox).

magnaval:

October 17, 2013 at 8:46 am

Hi, so first there are some bug in dropbox service like when your change one thinks in the data on one device, and after sync with dropbox, it will complete put a wrong resulte in your total budget so…..
Why you don’t try to use Icloud sync with ios7, perhaps apple fix some bug with core data!!!!!!!
It is an futur projet to use Icloud????

Alex:

October 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

Do you support sync between 1 iPhone and 2 Macbook?

Thanks

Alex

October 17, 2013 at 10:35 am

Yes, Sync via Dropbox supports multiple iOS and OS X devices.

gex:

October 17, 2013 at 10:22 am

so you’ve added a broken dropbox sync to money apps. and we still don’t have icloud sync. awesome! great work guys!

Matthew Wong:

October 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hi Money team,

Finally, I test these version on my MAC and iPhone, everything is OK even procedure complicated. And I don’t know why, when I open file from dropbox in the other MAC. The app need to save on this MAC, that’s should be save to dropbox, like a 1Password. And that’s should be simple way, when I input new data all devices are automatic updated.

I wish next version can improve user experience, such as when I open the app can call last file, not only open the create new file. That’s so annoying.

Keep a good work!
Matthew Wong

Roman Bdaitsiyev:

October 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Everything works fine) Thank guys!

Peter E:

October 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm

First when I opened the Money on my iPhone, I got confused since the only thing I saw was a grey screen. After some minutes I saw something about Dropbox and then I realised that Money had been updated without my knowledge. I then went to my mac and opened up the Money app there as well and realised that that this app was updated as well.

Since there were no instructions at all on the Jumsoft website (same mistake as last year when they introduced icloud sync), I had to make it work by trial and error. After I had tried several times, I finally managed it to work as it’s supposed to work (I guess).

Jumsoft, before you update the Money app please inform your customers how to proceed. Send out an email or make it more obvious that it’s a major upgrade and that we have to be careful before we proceed. Now it turned out rather good, but when you introduced the icloud, it was a real mess with lost data etcetera.

Thanks for a, so far, great implementation of dropbox sync.

/Peter E

Juan:

October 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I can’t belive the wifi sync is gone. I don’t use dropbox, It kills the mac in the background. Theres no iclou or googledrive support? This sucks.

Frank de Kort:

October 17, 2013 at 6:33 pm

You’ve done it again!!!

This is the second time you tried to sync in the cloud and the second time it doesn’t work AGAIN. And what makes things worse is that the update was automatic and without any warning. So I can’t sync my data anymore. Furthermore when I diconnect from Dropbox I get an extra set of files. Which one is the correct one???

Bring back the old Sync-method or give me my money back!

Adrian:

October 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I left 2 negative comments on here but having now reinstalled the updates everything works fine.
I think there were 2 issues for me, the first was somehow I managed to create 3 separate data files in Dropbox one from each device so of course they were all out of sync; the second was I misunderstood the reference to the Home Screen Pull Down as being the iPad or iPhone Home Button whereas its the Money Home Screen. Doh!! I followed the steps shown below which were provided by Jumsoft Support (thanks Guys) but before I did anything I deleted the data files from my iPhone and iPad so there was nothing on those devices and then I updated the Apps, here is the process, follow this and it works without any issues, changes happen on every device after another is changed
:On Mac:
1. Select Money > Preferences > Dropbox (or, if you have just downloaded v4.5 for the first time, pay attention to the Dropbox notification that pops out).
2. Click Connect with Dropbox. Dropbox website will open in your browser.
3. Sign into your Dropbox account. Afterwards you will be notified of the successful connection.
4. Save the documents that you want to sync in Dropbox (File > Save in Dropbox). If you have chosen to save all current documents to Dropbox automatically, you can skip this step, but I still suggest to check if the option File > Save in Dropbox is available for each document. If it is, click it because otherwise the document will not be synced.
5. Now all changes that you make to your Money document on your Mac will be automatically sent to the file stored in Dropbox.

Syncing on iOS:
1. Go to Settings > Documents (or, if you have just downloaded the new version, sign in directly in the Dropbox screen that pops out).
2. Tap the Connect with Dropbox button, and sign into your account.
3. You will be asked if you want to transfer the current documents to Dropbox. Now, if you have already transferred the documents with the same data from Mac, you do not need to transfer them from the iOS devices. You should keep them on the device and delete them (or keep them as backup copies if you wish).
4. By now you should be able to see new files with the blue Dropbox icon them. Those are the files that were uploaded from the Mac and saved in Dropbox. You can now edit them from any of your devices.
5. To download the latest changes to a file, select the Home tab and pull the screen down (on the iPad, you can initiate syncing from any tab).
6. After you have finished making changes to the file, pull the Home screen down again (or any screen on the iPad).

Just don’t expect instant updates my data files is nearly 7MB but it took less than a minute to update changes after the initial sync.

It works just fine and I think makes Money a really great App

Benjamin Frost:

October 17, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I can’t believe Jumsoft have just got rid of Wifi Sync without any warning. I don’t use Dropbox and don’t want to, certainly not for financial data. Even if there’s a problem with Mavericks, they should have let us know, so that we could sync our data before the change to Dropbox.

I would be grateful if Jumsoft would bring back a swift update for all versions of Money with Wifi Sync. This has shaken my faith in Jumsoft.

Stefan De Boey:

October 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Yeah, same here. What a shame, i loved the app, But just removing that functionality … We shared a Money file between family members, which is impossible now.

And Maverick is not out yet, so why removing Wi-fi sync already????

Going to look for another app which let’s us use a shared database. I’m not going to wait until this problem is resolved. What do i do in the mean time? Write transactions on paper? Maintain a Money database per person, And then manually copy it into another Money database? I don’t think so.

Benjamin Frost:

October 19, 2013 at 12:44 am

iCompta 5 on the Mac App Store looks promising. It has iCloud, Dropbox and local sync. and has iPad and iPhone apps. I loved using Money, but I don’t want to risk it any more. What else will they suddenly change with no notice? It seems so silly-all they had to do was give us, say a couple of weeks warning in a new version update so that we could sync everything and make alternative arrangements if necessary. To leave us in the lurch on such a critical function is crazy and unprofessional.

Sergei:

October 18, 2013 at 8:58 am

Please add sync button in all app(OSX and iOS) as it do in omnifocus.
It’s be great if you add webdav for sync

Acky:

October 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Seems I’m one of the “lucky” ones, the Dropbox Sync is working for me so far. Nevertheless I’m not happy with it. To put part of my financial data on a server which is not under my control doesn’t give me a good feeling. The argument “don’t worry, it’s encrypted” doesn’t help.

I understand that the WiFi Sync is broken under Mavericks, but forcing users into using a cloud service after they bought the whole software suite is the wrong way.

I hope Jumsoft will offer a sync method in the near future where users can choose their own infrastructure. WebDAV would be a valid alternative (like offered by the OmniGroup).

Attila Tamas Zimler:

October 19, 2013 at 2:57 am

This is nice, but first I had problem with WiFi sync (suddenly it was not able to sync, it said that my file is corrupt). I erased it from my phone, and now I find no method to place it back for WiFi sync.

The dropbox sync is a piece of crap.
- Slow
- Syncs the data currently edited (resulting in constant changing of the cost back to 0 when I entered it).
- I had to start the sync 3 times, because it showed that it has been updated, but the data was not there.

I would really appreciate if I’m paying for the software, that the features I’m using is not pulled out from the software. I’m not a beta tester, I use mac, because I don’t like that I constantly have problem with softwares not working. If this quality continues, you have to search for somebody else to pay your low quality work.

(Instead of cheerleading that Dropbox is back – see above, it should not be back at the moment.)

Alex:

October 19, 2013 at 10:28 am

Screw you guys, I’m not a beta tester, I’m going to moneywiz

Carlos Martinez:

October 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I’ve been a Money user for several years and I don’t believe you’ve learned the lessons from the past.

If you’re been forced to drop wi-fi sync then you HAVE TO let us know ahead of time before you roll out a feature that leaves us without the functions we had.

I sync with my Mac every week and I have a week worth of transactions on the iPhone that I have not synced back to my back but since both versions were upgraded, and having learned from experience that YOUR RELEASES ARE NOT SAFE I’m now stuck with transactions that I don’t know they would sync.

I have to repeat the feelings expressed by others, WE ARE NOT YOUR BETA TESTERS.

PLEASE COMMUNICATE THESE TYPE OF CHANGES SO WE ARE PREPARED AND WE CAN MAKE PROPER DECISIONS.

WE ARE TRUSTING OUR FINANCIAL (CRITICAL) DATA TO YOUR APPS AND YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND THAT.

What should have been a great feature for many of us is being spoiled by the bad experience of the upgrade.

WE DESERVE BETTER.

James:

October 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm

WiFi sync is gone? I specifically purchased Money for Mac, iPhone, and iPad because of WiFi sync. I purchased within the last 30 days. If this feature is permently removed I would like a refund. I have no desire to have a dropbox account or iCloud syncing. Is WiFi gone? How do I request a refund? WiFi worked so well, why did you remove it?

JT

October 21, 2013 at 1:52 pm

We have replied to your question over the email and are waiting for your further feedback.

James:

October 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Ruste,

Thanks for your email. I didn’t realize you couldn’t initiate a refund from your end. I took your suggestion and contacted Apple on your behalf. I explained the situation and I’m awaiting a response.

I hope in the future you will consider removing features from the demo that you plan to remove from the actual product. I’m feeling like I waisted my time transfering my data & setting your program up. I wouldn’t have even considered Money if you hadn’t been actively promoting WiFi sync as a feature. I (like many others) don’t see cloud storage as a viable secure option.

You mentioned that Money’s WiFi sync wasn’t possible with Apples newest OS. I assume that means no other apps will be able to implement WiFi sync? Or is Money just the most complex app to use WiFi sync? Maybe USB sync is an option?

At any rate, it seems like you have quite a few unhappy folks that use your software. If they are posting here, then they are probably posting reviews on the app store as well. I hope you can find a way to make them happy customers again.

JT

Roland:

October 20, 2013 at 1:27 am

So far it looks like dropbox synch worked. Though I did have to reenter some items as I had expected to be able to use the old LAN synching feature.

It would be great to have the option of choice between synching over the LAN or enabling Dropbox.

The truth of the matter is that some of us don’t feel comfortable with putting our accounting information up in the cloud.

We like the security of synching only over our LAN.

Please think about offering synching over the LAN in addition to Dropbox.

Other wise, congratulation on providing a cloud synch that worked for me. Hopefully it is for everyone else.

October 21, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Roland,

We’d love to have the choice between the two syncing methods as well, but it will not be technically possible on the upcoming OS X Mavericks, and it would have taken a lot longer to implement on earlier OS X versions.

Tim Hultquist:

October 20, 2013 at 2:21 am

Add me to the list of unhappy users of the latest “update”! Been trying to get my iPhone & iPad versions to sync with my Mac. All are at the latest version. Please get this fixed!! Again!

October 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Could you email us at support@jumsoft.com with more details? At which step of the syncing process do you run into difficulties?

Alfred:

October 20, 2013 at 3:26 pm

The sync function with wifi was great and simple. I miss this function and I hope it come back! Finally, it is sensitive data and i wan’t it sync with dropbox. I hope you take the customer seriously.

Alexey:

October 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Followed the comments, see the same problems with sync in dropbox identical to iCloud. When you guys will make application and sync that WILL work? Have you removed wifi sync again?

Julen:

October 21, 2013 at 12:52 am

Not again. Each Money update, and specially the ones related with the sync function, is big pain. Please recover Wifi sync. :-/

October 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Julen, I’m afraid we will not be able to bring back the Wi-Fi sync. The upcoming OS X Mavericks will no longer support a feature on which our Wi-Fi sync was based, and there is no other viable solution that would work for syncing Money’s complex databases over Wi-Fi.

Michael:

October 25, 2013 at 12:51 pm

You don’t want to tell us, that there is no chance to reactivate wifi sync in the future?!?!
      Then please offer an option to sync via USB cable. Everything is much better than syncing via any cloud.

Do you THINK about privacy and that not anyone wants to load financial data to an cloud service?

October 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

OS X Mavericks no longer supports the Sync Services feature, on which our Wi-Fi sync was based, so I’m afraid Wi-Fi is gone, at least for now.

James Taylor:

October 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Ruste,

I noticed that some applications like 1Password are still able to WiFi sync in Mavericks. Is this because their database isn’t as complex as Money? Or is it possible Money may support this when you have the chance to re-write the code? I realize you probably can’t comment on future plans for Money, I’m just trying to understand why Money can’t WiFi sync but other programs can.

Thanks.

AB:

October 21, 2013 at 5:47 am

Updated the iPhone app with some trepidation when couldn’t sync otherwise and all seems to have synced seamlessly with Mac via dropbox in under 5mins. Fingers crossed, but seems to be working! Thanks. Great to have auto sync!

AB:

October 21, 2013 at 6:17 am

Damn. Take that back. When I look closely it has not synched and no amount of pulling down on home screen will make it do so….
    Have shut down app and iphone. Disconnected and reconnected from Dropbox. Nothing

Depressing

AB:

October 21, 2013 at 7:07 am

Working now. Had to burn the difference in the data which was annoying – HOW ABOUT SOME WARNING SO WE CAN SYNC DEVICES BEFORE YOU DO THESE STUNTS???!!@! – but seems to sync now if I just pull down the Home screen.
      Had a few false tries where ended up with an empty dropbox blue money file on my iPhone.
      Eventually got it to work by deleting those and dropbox, starting again, saving iPhone data to dropbox and then “Opened from Dropbox” on Mac (ie created new file which then saved onto Mac). Guess I can open the old one when I have time and add in the lost entries that were not on my iPhone.
      Instructions NOT user friendly…

Adrian:

October 21, 2013 at 11:40 am

Dropbox Sync works and it works completely flawlessly anyone who says it doesn’t has not set it up correctly, and I include myself in that category. If the update to Money has not been carried out correctly then it will not work.. Roll up the blog to my comments about how to set it up follow those and it will work..

You do not need to install Dropbox on any of the devices (Mac or iOS) all you need is a Dropbox account . If you install Dropbox as an App on iOS or your Mac then you may inadvertently save a different copy of your Money file from each device and thats when the problems start.

I’ve got it working and it’s perfect , it’s far superior to wifi sync.

Benjamin Frost:

October 22, 2013 at 3:41 am

No, Adrian , it isn’t perfect. What you’re saying is that it isn’t advisable to have Dropbox on your iPhone, iPad or Mac in case it conflicts with Money! Hopeless.

I see several other very complex financial apps that offer iCloud syncing as well as wifi sync. It sounds to me as though Jumsoft ran down a dead-end with their coding and realised that they would either have to substantially re-write Money or give up on wifi sync and iCloud. They appear to have chosen the latter.

Adrian:

October 24, 2013 at 1:59 am

No Benjamin, that’s not want I meant, sorry if there was a misunderstanding. When I tried to update the first time I was prompted from Dropbox if I wanted to install it on my iPhone and when I did that I thought that I then had to save the file from the iPhone to Dropbox, bearing in mind that I had already saved the data file from my iMac. That’s what created 2 different data files, same thing with the iPad. If you already have Dropbox on your iOS Devices that’s not a problem just don’t save the file to Dropbox from more than one iOS Device as well as your Mac or the Sync will not work. Ruste’s reply was the key, only make the save from one iOS Device or your Mac then start Syncing.

I stand by what I have posted you can disagree if you like but it now works perfectly for me and I would suggest that if you have not got it working then you have not set it up correctly as happened to me :-)

Benjamin Frost:

October 25, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Even the fact that you have to be careful about not saving to more than one device is really bad-that is simply not an issue with iCloud. I don’t use Dropbox, but from what I have read on this blog and also others is that Dropbox has some fundamental issues that make it less than ideal for syncing between multiple devices. I’m not saying that you can’t get it to work, but I don’t want the hassle and worry; I want something that I don’t have to think about, that I know is reliable and that I can trust. Dropbox doesn’t fulfil these criteria; iCloud plus wifi sync does. I’ll be sad to move away from Money, because I like the reports, but I plan to start afresh ready for the next UK tax year in April with another solution.

Frankly, the worst thing is Jumsoft’s approach-you simply cannot remove something as fundamental as wifi sync without any warning.

October 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

Adrian,

In fact, having Dropbox app installed doesn’t seem to affect the syncing process in any way.

After we managed to solve your case, I tried the same approach with a few other clients: told them to disconnect from Dropbox on all devices and then reconnect, but only transfer the data files from one device to make sure that no duplicates are created. So far, it has worked for everyone.

MK:

October 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

And what about the flat design for iOS 7?

October 23, 2013 at 9:48 am

We are now working on new versions of all three Money apps. The iOS versions are being designed specifically with iOS 7 in mind,

Ken:

October 23, 2013 at 7:53 am

My version of Money is 4.4.4 and when I do a “Check for updates” it says it is the latest version. Yet, on the app store the version is 4.5. Am I missing something. Is there an update? And if so, why can’t I update thru the app?

October 23, 2013 at 9:49 am

Did you purchase Money for Mac as a part of the MacHeist bundle? If so, you should download the updated trial version 4.5 here: http://www.jumsoft.com/money/. It will be automatically activated with your original license number.

After you download v4.5, you will be able to sync via Dropbox.

Andrey:

October 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I have Money (the latest version) on iPad, iPhone and Mac. After syncing Money data from iPad with Dropbox and attempts to synchronize my iPhone with Dropbox I CAN NOT OPEN MY Money data file NOR IN iPad, NOR IN iPhone. NOWHERE! I LOST ALL 3-YEARS INFORMATION!
GREAT THANK YOU FOR YOUR UPDATE!!! Or maybe you advise how to fix the situation?

October 24, 2013 at 3:48 pm

We have replied to your your question via email and are waiting for your further feedback.

Aamir Arabi:

October 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Hi,

I bought App for iPhone and using trial version for mac 4.5

before update , it was working fine with wifi. since dropbox sync update , I am in trouble.

when I try to save file to dropbox , it says saving to dropbox for hours then nothing happens. I exactly did everything according to instructions.

I sent email to help and I got quick responses in start but now I am not getting any reply since last friday.

Please solve this problem so I Can buy full version for mac.

Regards.

Aamir

October 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Sorry! We’ve replied to your email and are waiting for your further response.

Chris:

October 25, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I’m not even trying out the sync. Well, I do sync, just by manually saving to Dropbox. Works great for me.

I always hesitate to upgrade this product. It seems the usability always suffers with every new version. Now, when I’m entering transactions, there’s a noticeable lag when bringing up the ‘Payee’ field. It seems like a small issue, but it’s a huge annoyance in entering transactions.

I know one thing for certain, I only have two months left of using this terrible product. Once the new year rolls around and I start a new set of books for 2014, I’m switching to a proper double-entry accounting program with a better UI that doesn’t break on every update.

I wanted to like this software so much, and the company just keeps releasing stinkers then gets defensive about how much they stink.

Adrian:

October 25, 2013 at 8:46 pm

It’s sad to see people complaining when the product works just great, usually when you have a group of people that have no problems then the product is ok and its the implementation by the people who cannot get it to work thats’ the problem.
Publicly telling Jumsoft you are going to switch products is fine if it makes you feel better but having a rant achieves nothing especially if it becomes abusive.

As I said follow the instructions and it will work. See my Blog Post October 17 at 9:43pm
I didn’t have a Dropbox account until this upgrade and so all I did was to login to the account the first time I was asked to do that during the upgrade. I did not save the file from within Dropbox, do that and it will go wrong (As I experienced). As I have said before if you follow the process that I used which was provided by Jumsoft it will work. there is no question on that.

paul:

October 26, 2013 at 2:28 am

This is the second time you’ve removed Wifi sync without giving us any warning. That’s really lame! Didn’t you learn anything from the iCloud disaster? You need to give us a heads up if you’re removing something as important as this!

I don’t mind using Dropbox (if it works), but as a result of not knowing that Wifi sync was being removed, I ended up with a version of my data on my phone, and a separate version of my data on my Mac, with no way to sync them. The result of turning on Dropbox support is now I have 2 files in dropbox.

I’m sorry, but you really need to find a better way to make these transitions.

uri:

October 26, 2013 at 7:17 am

This is really frustrating.
I’ll never update any app with out read the new “features” (or lack of it) list first.
Dropbox its by no means secure, unless you encript the money files i don’t think i will use the sync function.
I prefer not to update to maveriks if i lose the wifi sync in money, but that would be my decision. Now i can chose stay with money or migrate. I’m really sorry about this, but its true.
I hope jumsoft can reconsider and offer a better solution.

Sincerely.

Ilya:

October 27, 2013 at 1:24 pm

The app is silly. I’ve closed money. Then clicked on the dock icon and it’s creating a new ‘Money’ account. Are you serious?! Why it can’t open previous account and all the time it tries to create a new one? I’ve never seen this behaviour with mac apps before.

Marc:

October 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

I don’t know who decides on features for money but you’re a disaster! You are removing features which worked without too many bugs to force people to use new one. I want to keep the wifi sync, and don’t want your bugy Dropbox sync…. You did the same with iCloud sync a time ago and a lot of people complained when you did it. What’s going on guys? Don’t you learn from your mistakes?

October 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Unfortunately, OS X Mavericks stopped supporting Wi-Fi sync technology, which we used in our products. That’s the reason, why we had to move to alternatives.

Paxcou:

October 29, 2013 at 5:56 pm

ICompta 4 is using wifi sync and it’s working great on Mavericks.
      I have just moved to Money because I found the new version of ICompta being a too complicated piece of software, I hope the sync will work soon enough on Money ! 15 minutes now to savec to dropbox a file empty ! And it’s not yet finished.

Chris Hoge:

October 29, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I really really hate this product. Your half-second delay in loading up the payee field is killing me. Sync aside (you burned that bridge long ago for me after ripping me off for the iOS versions), how can you let half-baked updates out the door? It’s like you take pleasure in frustrating your customers.

Delli:

October 29, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I uninstall everything from iPhone and Mac.
ReInstall and now Mac is syncing to Dropbox 30min, file size 791 kt (below 1 Mt) and still empty file.
Fix this ASAP.

Delli:

October 30, 2013 at 9:56 am

More Information:

MAC sync don’t finish, It do something about 2 hours and nothing sync.
iPhone sync to dropbox about 1 minute and it makes many files to Dropbox.

MAC version 4.5.1 don’t save preferenses.

This sync work when I have MAC version 4.5, your update to version 4.5.1 kill MAC sync.

October 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Delli, Please contact us at support@jumsoft.com

Delli:

October 30, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Hi,

I contact to support
I do anything they say, no help.

I do also this
- clean mavericks install
- restore nothing from Time Machine
- make new DropBox account
- install Money from AppStore
- connect to dropbox
- File – Save to Dropbox (2 hours)

And that’s it, nothing sync
I quit, I have spend two days with this to get Money App sync to Dropbox.
I use Mac App as standalone

Delli:

October 31, 2013 at 11:35 am

Testing again

Regarding the Mac version, please try the following:
    1. Disconnect from Dropbox (Money > Preferences > Dropbox).
    2. Delete the Money app.
    4. Restart MAC
    5. After that I download Trial Version from your website, connect it to dropbox and try, no sync.
    —-
    Again
    1. Disconnect from Dropbox (Money > Preferences > Dropbox).
    2. Delete the Money app.
    4. Restart MAC
    5. After that I download Money from App Store, connect it to dropbox and try, no sync
    —–
    Connect to dropbox works ok
    When I do File – Save to Dropbox app begin to sync and it sync forever, I must do ‘Force quit’ for money app because I can’t stop it any other way.
    —–
    What can be reason for this, some people get this work ok but some of us this ‘save to Dropbox’ do nothing?

Mac version of 1Password sync ok to dropbox.

October 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Can you check if your computer name has been set up? To do that, go to System Preferences > Sharing and check if the Computer Name field is filled. If not, please enter a name for your computer.

Afterwards, back up your Money data, reinstall the apps, restart your computer, and try reconnecting to Dropbox.

Delli:

October 31, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I chck this and it was empty.
        I filled it and now sync work ok.

You must change the app so that it check this and put error message to screen if share name is empty.

Thank you very much.

Imod:

October 31, 2013 at 1:17 am

For everything works. Great job finally.

Tony:

November 02, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I’ve done the above 2 times to no avail. The iOS version works fine and uploads/downloads from Dropbox but the desktop version is NOT working. Every time I launch the app, it asks me if I want to link it to Dropbox (done that over 10 times) and when it finally gets the permissions, it does not sync! I choose “open from Dropbox” but the file I see is not synced with my iPhone!!!!
What is wrong? Can someone solve this issue?

Matthew Wong:

November 03, 2013 at 6:41 am

I have same problem on both of latest version, Jumsoft need to bugs fix
    Immedately

Achim:

November 06, 2013 at 5:16 pm

On iMac, iPad and iPhone all work perfect. But Download on iPhone and iPad from Dropbox are very slow, if only I have Edge or 3G on the Phone. Why don’t store the File on iPhone and only the new Transaction syncing with Dropbox? So I can work offline with Money!!

Achim:

November 06, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Or you bring back Sync with WiFi AND Dropbox, because for me is syncing with WiFi the better Way. I don’t want my Financial File store on Dropbox!!!

November 06, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Actually, Money only syncs newly added changes to Dropbox. You could add them offline on your iOS devices and initiate syncing later, when you’re connected to Wi-Fi.

Konstantinos:

November 07, 2013 at 4:56 pm

There should be a setting on the iPhone app, to choose if you want Dropbox Sync to work on cellular! Like it is now, the only way you can tell it not to is to do so via the Settings app. But if you do so, you lose the Foursquare integration as well! And if you dont, you end up with Money using up your dataplan for Dropbox Sync, something that is useless.
This is a huge problem!

MAGNAVAL:

November 09, 2013 at 10:59 am

I, so have you tried to bring Icloud sync!!!!! Perhaps with the Ios7 they fix some issue!!! Let we know.
I checked on web and some people said then APPLE fix Icloud core data bug in ios7.

Jumsoft:

November 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yes, we have tried that. Some CoreData issues have been fixed but some still remain, and we didn’t want to take the risk again.

achibus:

November 11, 2013 at 3:43 pm

iPad Version does not work anymore, even after reinstall

First I have to say that in general I liked the software, but this update killed my installation and data.

After the automatic update the application created a new document and my existing one was not available . All my data is lost! – First I thought I did something wrong, but many others experienced the same. I can not reproduce this step, but what follows is reproduceable and causes quite some frustration.

To get a fresh start after loosing all my data, I reinstall Money on my iPad After this step the newly installed application starts with the “No Document, Tap to create a new document” The dialog “Downloading from Dropbox” is shown, which never ends.

I tried several things in combination
- rebooting my iPad
- deinstalling Money ( several times )
- deinstalling even Dropbox

nothing works, “Downloading from Dropbox” never ends

I can not use Money on my iPad anymore … frustrating!

I agree with many comments here: We are not your beta testers! and I’m wondering how jumsoft will compensate us. As I said, I want to stick with the product and understand that errors can happen. So I don’t want a refund, but ….

Is there a way to get money started on my iPad again.

A.Louback:

November 11, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Same happens with me. I was so happy that Jumsoft was so quiet about Money. I didn’t have problems. Now they try to do some improvements and look what happen. Last december this happened with me and they took 30 days to solve the problem. What i shame. I’m seriously thinking to pursue Jumsoft.

achibus:

November 11, 2013 at 11:10 pm

What did they have to get your machine going?

AP:

November 12, 2013 at 11:24 am

I thought I did something wrong and submitted a ticket until I found this thread. My data is all gone. It prompted me to create a new document but there’s no data there. Many months of work is gone! Hope you can advice how we can retrieve back our data.

Miguel:

November 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Trying to sync data on my iPhone/iPad but it mostly takes like 20min to get the data through. Then it only syncs some of the accounts, not all. Thats funny because they are supposed to be in the same money file.

I paid for this and I feel like a Beta tester!!

There are better tools out there doing way better jobs. Imagine Evernote taking an hour to sync some text snipplets!